What is this world coming to????

Say whatever you like.
pizlo

What is this world coming to????

Post by pizlo »

Well as you may know today is my easter. My mom was driving us home from church this morning and we were picking up my 89 year old grandmother from the nursing home. Right before the nursing home there is a hill so its hard to see cars coming. My mom pulls right out in front of this black sedan. The guy driving looks just like any lead signer of a heavy metal band and he slams his horn for a good minute straight. I look back and gave him the finger, but my mom was like "Don't even look at him, just ignore it." So being the good little boy I am I did. A few minutes later we get to a red light and the guy pulls right up next to us. He rolls down his window like 5 feet away from my grandmother and starts shouting crap at us. We didn't even hit his car or force him to slam the breaks, we just pulled out a bit to late. Then the guy and the dude in the passenger seat start making rude gestures and I've just about had it, so I open the window and yell, "HEY YOU FAG STOP DRIVING YOUR BOYFRIEND AROUND, YEAH **** YOU!" and roll up my window. So now I'm about to eat a bunch of lamb and potatoes, but I'm grounded -_-....

Your thoughts?

Nezzy!

Re: What is this world coming to????

Post by Nezzy! »

Fair Does. Bit harsh that you were grounded tho...
Nez.

Daendil

Post by Daendil »

Heh, you really shouldn't waste your energies on animals like that. Not too long ago I was in a similar situation. Except I didn't hear a word because the window wasn't down. Actually it was quite funny to watch the guy cursing so intensely without sound :).

Storm

Post by Storm »

That's not the way to do it, Piz. And you know it.

Sure, the guy is a total sociopath. But you shouldn't yell back at him like that. Especially not from inside the safety of your car.

Come to think of it, I hardly ever get yelled at. I would probably ignore it. People only misbehave when they think they're safe. As evidenced from the misbehaviour on game servers. :)

The one thing I can't ignore are physical threats. It happened once. A guy tried to hit me from behind with a brick. In front of his own friends, and mine... Oh, and once there was a guy who tried to pick pocket my sister and I saw him do it... I got quite angry then too.

As for you. Young man...

You'll have to learn that your actions have consequences. What if the guy had a gun and fired it at your family?

Oglab

Post by Oglab »

Indeed, Storm. Even if they threatened you with physical harm you should not provoke them by insulting them right back, no matter how tempting it feels. The slightest provocation can cause unstable people to turn murderously violent. In 90% of the cases someone is acting like an ass, ignoring or even agreeing with them will solve the problem. When they feel their egos have recieved a sufficent boost from their daily assery they should leave. In the future the best way to avoid these situations is to identify asses from afar by observing and discreetly avoid them before they find/imagine a reason to yell at or hurt you.

If they can't be avoided, like now, then just do what i said ignore or agree with them. If they still press on or show/reach for a weapon they are more or less intent on hurting you in one way or another and you should be prepared to make a run for it.

Self-Discipline/Control is extremely handy in these situations. Those asses have none, you have some (which sadly broke for awhile) and im guessing your parents had too as you didn't mention a fight. The more self-control you have the better and in more control you will be during difficult situations, think rationally and consider the good and bad that would come from every action you take. If the potential harm outweighs the potential good, you should not do it. Risking to escalate the unpleasantness to include injury or possible death simply due wanting to release you inner anger at people you think deserved it is selfish, stupid and inconsiderate. Not saying you are any of that but thats how you behaved when provoked. And if you become selfish, stupid and inconsiderate when provoked by asses, just imagine how those already selfish, stupid and inconsiderate asses will act when provoked.

As a side note i find insulting people thouroughly pointless, counterproductive and cowardly. I have not flinged a serious insult at a stranger since i was like 9, about 10-11 years ago if not more. Actually how old are you?

pizlo

Post by pizlo »

Just turned 15 mate. Yeah I know now that it was wrong, but in the place I live a physical or serious threat to me just isn't a reality. I live in an middle/upperclas suburbs. People at my school throw insults and TBH death threats around like water, because noone ever means it. Next time I'll try to chill, honestly this is the first time I've gotten in the way of some assholes PMSing, and I hope its the last.

You guys all sound like my parents, witch is a good sign I suppose. :)

Oglab

Post by Oglab »

Yep, to give advice is to care about someones well-being :) Even if it can sound like nagging. Also i have not really been insulted enough to get a real perspective, in real life that is maybe once every year. It might be/feel/seem different. There is no lack of insults coming from random internet people everyday though.

pizlo

Post by pizlo »

Yes the internet is full of this, but its very very different, I can exit a web page if I want, instantly! I can choose not to go to webpages or servers where it happens. I am forced to live in this world. And don't get me wrong I have a great life, wouldn't change it for anything.

Storm

Post by Storm »

I've always lived in good neighbourhoods. But sometimes you go outside the bubble of our environment. Anyway, I can fend for myself. The one time I was attacked, it was outside a club. After the initial surprise, I hit the guy hard enough for him to stop bothering me.