Oglab's Nature Pics!

Say whatever you like.
Oglab

Oglab's Nature Pics!

Post by Oglab »

Since i have not been playing much Savage lately, other than matches, i have decided to show you what i have been doing. Namely taking pictures, and lots of them!

This is a small sample of some of the better ones i have taken (all reduced in size to save space):
http://rapidshare.com/files/229237792/Kamera.rar.html

I mostly take pictures of odd, unusual, hard to find or otherwise interesting creatures, mostly insects, birds and the odd reptile, amphibian (frogs, toads, salamnders) or mollusc (snails only so far, as clams and octopi live in rather wet areas) but anything in a photographically favourable position usually gets pictured, if only for the practice. I am by no means a pro photographer but i intend to get better and its quite fun to get a perfect picture every once in awhile.

Oh and incase anyone wonders how many pictures i have infact taken, my pictures folder currently says the number to be: 2260 split up into 179 folders hogging over 7 GB worth of space.

pizlo

Re: Oglab's Nature Pics!

Post by pizlo »

Photography is one of my hobbies too, the reason I barely ever shoot is because since inheriting one of my dads old DSL (nikon d70) and having access to all his lenses I am spoiled. I hate taking pictures with the little digital ones everyone has, but I cant trust myself taking around a Full sized body+ lenses when I'm out with friends, I want to be doing stuff. Quite on topic I was in cape cod for a school trip and it was amazing! I could have taken THOUSANDS of pictures there, but alas it was not a situation where I could bring a camera.

Well back on subject, nice pictures, animals can be tricky subject, Only critique would be more interesting lighting and backgrounds, as well as a macro lense to get all the details in those bugs. keep it up!

Oh and what camera do you have?

Daendil

Post by Daendil »

ooh, I hate the first two bugs so much (esp the first one)

Oglab

Post by Oglab »

Im currently using a Canon Eos 450 camera with a Macro Lense EF-S 60mm and a Tele-Macro Lense 70-300mm. Some pictures are taken with a Kodak EasyShare C743, but i try not to use it as id rather learn and get better pictures with my Eos.

As for ligthing and interesting backgrounds, it is not really up to me, but to the bugs :) If they don't want to stand in perfect lighting background, there is not much i can do about it, lest i risk scaring them by poking them into a more favourable position.

Also im having trouble getting proper focus using my Macro lens on bugs, usually only getting the eye, a leg or some other very small part of the animal, is there sonething special i should be doing or is it just shaky hands, improper lighting or improper angle for the shot?

Storm

Post by Storm »

Nice. I need a camera too. Preferably with an underwater case. I wanna take some reef pictures on the Seychelles. :)

I like the macro-lens. The images you compressed have a low resolution though. I guess otherwise they might get really big. Where did you take these pictures?

Oglab

Post by Oglab »

Low resolution is beacause i reduced them in size and taken out some of the background myself as otherwise they would take way more space for internet uploading. Otherwise their resolution would about 4272x2848 and take 4MB worth of space each.

All pictures were taken in Sweden at varying points during the years.

pizlo

Post by pizlo »

As for the bugs up your F stop to allow more depth of field, then you will have less problems with focus. Uhm lemme find alinky to my photobucket page, its got a few of my pictures on it.

Hmm, well heres the ones that are up... http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r287/Pizlo/
past 3rd page is all crapp from ages ago, but check the last on the 6th and if you remember it GG. most of that stuff is from church on good friday before easter. still havent uploaded from the second card.

Oglab

Post by Oglab »

Ah thanks, i need to experiment with the settings on my camera more. Thing is you kind of forget those things when bugs are rushing by and could dissapear in less than a second. Oh well i test these things once the sun starts to shine for real outside, right now its all gloomy outside (might have to do with the whole being night thing).

pizlo

Post by pizlo »

Heh, well photography is 100% capturing light so wait till you have nice lighting.

Oglab

Post by Oglab »

The Snails i used to have, part because i was bored, part because i wanted to have and breed snails for awhile and part to see if i could create a good environment for them. While it was far from perfect i think i did a fair job. I provided daily fresh leafs from their favorite plants (a plant from the genus Taraxacum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taraxacum) The actual snails are called Helix Pomatia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix_pomatia. Usually bred and kept for eating, altough i would not want to eat any snail.

I also sprayed them with water to keep humididty up. In addition i provided calcium shell to make up for the lack of its intake due to not having dirt in their terrarium (animals naturally pick up minerals, inlcuding calcium, by absorbing it from the earth), or a perfect diet for them by mostly feeding them the above mentioned leaves. The terrarium was also cleaned carefully and not too thouroughly every other day, too thourough cleaning would remove their mucous trails, meaning the snails would have to expend alot of energy and water unessesarily.

After about 2-4 weeks or so i had satisfied my need to keep them and released them back into the wild. Oh and i almost forgot, i planned to repopulate several areas where these snails had died out, had my project been a wild success.