Battlestation

Say whatever you like.
jazzking

Battlestation

Post by jazzking »

Hey all,

I thought I would post a picture of my Savage setup because I'm really happy with it atm.

I decided to buy a 50$ CRT monitor (Viewsonic E90fb) with only a few nanoseconds input lag (compared to about 20ms on the right LCD). The drawback is that it is not widescreen but I'm dealing with that quite well. There exist widescreen CRTs but they are rare and very expensive. I don't use these monitors in dual screen since that introduces at least a frame (16ms delay) on most video cards.

I also limit the flip queue size of my video card with ATI tray tools, it probably doesn't do anything in most situations but it prevents the graphcis card from queing frames (up to 4), so that they are instead displayed as soon as possible. For the same reason, I disable aero.

I'm using a mouse I've used for a few years now, the razer salmosa pro (asian) edition, it's for small hands but I like that it's small, and that it has 1000hz polling rate (0.5ms avg delay instead of 4ms avg delay)

Because I got used to the delay on my old monitor, my mouse feels so responsive it feels almost like it knows before I move it where I move it.

I just purchased a hard mousepad, the Steelseries 4hd, to replace my qck, I'm don't think that it makes me any better but it feels easier to make quick changes in movement of the mouse, for example with coil or blocks. It's like the mosuepad is resting on a cloud, if you can afford it I think a hard mousepad (20$) is worth it.

I also switched out my keyboard, I picked up a used noppoo with cherry browns (50$), I was worried about the key travel compared to the chiclet wireless keyboard I was using before (left of picture) but it caused no problems. The actuation force is lower so it feels nicer and more reliable to hit new directional combinations. I also like that the arrow keys are right under the enter key, it gives my thumb extra buttons to press. I'm using this keyboard with a ps/2 adapter so it's a significant latency improvement over my old wireless keyboard. The main motivation for this was to make coil fire faster, since I fire weapons with a keyboard button.

Last edited by jazzking on 01 Sep 2014 00:35, edited 1 time in total.

Nanaa

Re: Battlestation

Post by Nanaa »

Interesting. How common is it nowadays that progamers use CRT monitors?

Price/quality wise I think that's one of the best buys. 80 Hz refresh rate gives you nice advantage over the 60 Hz flat screen guys and that response time is probably unbeatable by any flat screen.

My LCD screen is 120 Hz with 2 ms response time and cost me about 130 euros. Savage and Quake Live look really amazing with it at 120 fps. First reaction was that it's like in-game motion blur! I thought 2 ms was pretty good but heh, your response time is even a million times faster.

jazzking

Post by jazzking »

Nanaa I think that your 120hz screen is probably very sufficient. Progamers typically use 144hz monitor with very low input lag measurements, because they can get sponsorships for these and they are provided in LANs. However at home CRTs are considered slightly better, or at least cheaper and about the same.

You should know that response time as advertised refers to the time it takes for the pixel to change color, but usually there is an additional delay to display the signal because of digital processing, etc. The total delay is usually referred to as input lag.

jazzking

Post by jazzking »

By the way I'm proud to report that Legacy feels a difference vs my human.